Re: HT scheduler: is it really correct? or is it feature of HT?

From: Tetsuji \"Maverick\" Rai
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 04:51:24 EST

But I would like a kernel to let boinc (the "nice=19" processes) fill
the idle time as much as possible. The current kernel scheduler seems
very sensitive to low-nice (higher priority) processes.

How can I change this sensitivity? I'm looking at kernel/sched.c,
but it's more complicated than a few years ago when I hacked this
before :) and that I'm using HT (SMP).. Will you tell me any hint
where to modify, and/or what to take care of? or any pointer to
proper resources on the Internet?

When I use gnome desktop with a system monitor applet, I see there's
always some idle part and top also shows the idle time on gnome even
if I don't run any specific applications besides system daemons and
gnome background processes. However without gnome/X window, top shows
no or very small idle power (as a matter of course.) So I want the
kernel to be less sensitive. Maybe it will utilize more cpu power.

best regards,

--
Luckiest in the world / Weapon of Mass Distraction
http://maverick6664.bravehost.com/