Re: Illegal use of reserved word in system.h

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Tue May 17 2005 - 21:52:39 EST

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 17:51 -0700, Gilbert, John wrote:
> Hello,
> The use of "new" as a variable name in the macro "__cmpxchg" breaks
> builds of other programs that link to include/asm-i386/system.h
> I'd like to request that this be renamed to something else, like mynew
> or krnew.

mynew is for beginner programmers (and perl scripts!). The normal
convention is to add a "k" as in printk or ksoftirqd, so it should be
"knew". But who knew?

Besides, what programs are you compiling that are using kernel headers?
That's always a no-no. Although I did notice that errno.h on debian
includes bits/errno.h which includes linux/errno.h. But that's the
distribution's linux headers, and I don't see any header including
asm/system.h