Re: How to use memory over 4GB

From: Roberto Fichera
Date: Tue May 17 2005 - 02:18:14 EST

At 23.34 16/05/2005, Nix wrote:
On 16 May 2005, Roberto Fichera whispered secretively:
> At 16.17 16/05/2005, Eric Dumazet wrote:
>>If your process is cpu bounded (and not issuing too many system calls),
>> then 4GB/4GB split let it address more ram, reducing the need to shift windows in
>>mmaped files for example.
>
> ... any source code that explain better what you say ;-)!

<http://lkml.org/lkml/2003/7/8/246> perhaps?

Yes! I already know this patch ... I was asking for some user space code,
just to show up the thinks ;-)!

(In a nutshell: it gives processes an extra 1Gb of virtual memory, at
the cost of making system calls --- and everything else that must
transition to kernel space --- *much* slower.)

Roberto Fichera.