Re: Disk write cache (Was: Hyper-Threading Vulnerability)

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon May 16 2005 - 09:35:19 EST

Matthias Andree wrote:
On Sun, 15 May 2005, Mikulas Patocka wrote:

Note that disk can still ignore FLUSH CACHE command cached data are small
enough to be written on power loss, so small FLUSH CACHE time doesn't
prove disk cheating.

Have you seen a drive yet that writes back blocks after power loss?

I have heard rumors about this, but all OEM manuals I looked at for
drives I bought or recommended simply stated that the block currently
being written at power loss can become damaged (with write cache off),
and that the drive can lose the full write cache at power loss (with
write cache on) so this looks like daydreaming manifested as rumor.

Upon power loss, at least one ATA vendor's disks try to write out as much data as possible.

Jeff