Re: Disk write cache (Was: Hyper-Threading Vulnerability)

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Sun May 15 2005 - 20:57:18 EST

On Sunday 15 May 2005 11:29, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 11:21:36AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >FreeBSD used these barriers (FLUSH CACHE command) long time ago.
>> >
>> >There are rumors that some disks ignore FLUSH CACHE command just
>> > to get higher benchmarks in Windows. But I haven't heart of any
>> > proof. Does anybody know, what companies fake this command?
>> >
>> >From a story I read elsewhere just a few days ago, this problem
>> > is
>>
>> virtually universal even in the umpty-bucks 15,000 rpm scsi server
>> drives. It appears that this is just another way to crank up the
>> numbers and make each drive seem faster than its competition.
>>
>> My gut feeling is that if this gets enough ink to get under the
>> drive makers skins, we will see the issuance of a utility from the
>> makers that will re-program the drives therefore enabling the
>> proper handling of the FLUSH CACHE command. This would be an
>> excellent chance IMO, to make a bit of noise if the utility comes
>> out, but only runs on windows. In that event, we hold their feet
>> to the fire (the prefereable method), or a wrapper is written that
>> allows it to run on any os with a bash-like shell manager.
>
>There is a large amount of yammering and speculation in this thread.

I agree, and frankly I'm just another of the yammerers as I don't
have the clout to be otherwise.

>Most disks do seem to obey SYNC CACHE / FLUSH CACHE.
>
> Jeff

I don't think I have any drives here that do obey that, Jeff. I got
curious about this, oh, maybe a year back when this discussion first
took place on another list, and wrote a test gizmo that copied a
large file, then slept for 1 second and issued a sync command. No
drive led activity until the usual 5 second delay of the filesystem
had expired. To me, that indicated that the sync command was being
returned as completed without error and I had my shell prompt back
long before the drives leds came on. Admittedly that may not be a
100% valid test, but I really did expect to see the leds come on as
the sync command was executed.

I also have some setup stuff for heyu that runs at various times of
the day, reconfigureing how heyu and xtend run 3 times a day here,
which depends on a valid disk file, and I've had to use sleeps for
guaranteeing the proper sequencing, where if the sync command
actually worked, I could get the job done quite a bit faster.

Again, probably not a valid test of the sync command, but thats the
evidence I have. I do not believe it works here, with any of the 5
drives currently spinning in these two boxes.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)