Re: Need kernel patch to compile with Intel compiler

From: Peter Chubb
Date: Sun May 15 2005 - 19:59:00 EST

J> On 05.12, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 May 2005, Tetsuji "Maverick" Rai wrote:
>>
>> > In this mailing list archive I found a discussion on how to
>> compile > kenrel 2.6.x with Intel C++ compiler, but it was a bit
>> old, and only > kernel patch for version 2.6.5 or around so can be
>> found. As mine is > HT enabled, I want newer one.
>> >

>> Why would you even attempt to convert the kernel sources to be
>> compiled with some other tools? Also C++ won't work because the
>> kernel is all about method, i.e., procedures. You need a procedural
>> compiler for most of it, not an object-oriented one.

J> Intel's is a C/C++/Fortran compiler.

J> Last time I checked (a year or so ago) gcc catched the intel
J> compiler for equivalent options, or say it the other way, adjusting
J> gcc options you could get more or less the same performance. There
J> were even places where gcc generated faster code than icc. And that
J> was gcc-3.0.x, I think.

For IA64, the intel compiler generates *much* better code than gcc.
Depending on the source, you can get factor of two or better,
particularly for crypto code like rc4.

--
Dr Peter Chubb http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
The technical we do immediately, the political takes *forever*