Re: git repository for net drivers available

From: Junio C Hamano
Date: Sun May 15 2005 - 16:47:33 EST

PB> Dear diary, on Fri, May 13, 2005 at 05:29:30PM CEST, I got a letter
PB> where Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> told me that...
>> Looks like cogito is using $repo/heads/$branch, whereas my git repo is
>> using $repo/branches/$branch.

PB> Would it be a big problem to use refs/heads/$branch? That's the
PB> currently commonly agreed convention about location for storing branch
PB> heads, not just some weird Cogito-specific invention. And it'd be very
PB> nice to have those locations consistent across git repositories.

Since Jeff brought up $repo/branches/$branch, you may also want
to add that $repo/branches/$branch is used to record the URL of
the remote $branch (the information used to be in a flat file
$repo/remotes, branch name and URL separated by shell $IFS, one
record on each line), and is quite different from those 40-byte
SHA1 plus LF files you see in $repo/refs/*/ directory.

I think it is a reasonable one, I also follow the
$repo/branches/$branch convention Cogito uses, and I would
encorage other Porcelain implementations to follow suit.