ext2 optimal partition size

From: DervishD
Date: Sun May 15 2005 - 11:00:03 EST

Hi all :)

Let's assume I want to partition a hard disk so the partition
size is optimal for a given block size and bytes per inode ratio in
an ext2/ext3 filesystem. By 'optimal' I mean that no space in the
partition is wasted, that is, the metadata and the data blocks fit
perfectly in the partition, and no space is left unused because that
space is less than a data block.

For example, if disk structures occupy 1024 bytes and each data
block is 1024 bytes too, the partition size must be a multiple of
1024: if I allocate 2049 bytes for the partition, then one byte will
be lost because ext2/3 cannot have blocks smaller than the block
size.

So: which is the optimal partition size for a given block size
and a given bytes per inode ratio? Can it be easily calculated?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

It's my PC and I'll cry if I want to...