Re: Sync option destroys flash!

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 23:35:54 EST

linux@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I would have though so, but I can say from personal experience that
SanDisk brand CF cards respond to losing power during a write by producing
a bad sector. I had assumed that a sensible implementation would take
advantage of the out-of-place writing by doing a two-phase commit at
write time, so writes would be atomic.

Does anyone know of a CF manufacturer that *does* guarantee atomic writes?
Obviously, if power is lost during a write, it's not clear whether
I'll get the old or the new contents, but I want one or ther other and
not -EIO.

Given that SanDisk first developed the CompactFlash card, you'd think they'd
be a fairly reputable brand...

I think it would be a fair bit of work to guarantee this, unless you add enough capacitive energy storage or something onboard to ensure that the write can complete even if power is lost. Some hard drives have the same problem, actually, where a bad sector can be produced if it was being written at the time power was lost.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx