Re: NPTL: stack limit limiting number of threads

From: Ritesh Kumar
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 19:07:16 EST

On 5/13/05, Jakub Jelinek <jakub@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 03:49:48PM -0400, Ritesh Kumar wrote:
> > However, I was most amazed to see that the limit on stack size on
> > FreeBSD (5.3 Release) was 64M by default! I was just wondering, how is
> > FreeBSD able to create about a 1000 threads with that kind of a stack
> > limit. Also, is there anything specific in its implementation which
> > makes it difficult to incorporate in Linux? Wouldn't it be a good idea
> > to remove this "trade-off" between stack limit and number of threads
> > and fail thread creation only when we have run out of address space
> > being *actually used* in the stacks in a process.
>
> On FreeBSD the default thread stack size is not computed from ulimit -s,
> but is constant. They apparently only recently increased it to 1MB
> (resp. 2MB on 64-bit arches), from 64K.
>
> On Linux, the default thread stack size (except with fixed stack LinuxThreads)
> is determined from ulimit -s (with a constant default if ulimit -s is
> unlimited).
>
> If your threaded application has specific needs for stack sizes, it can
> always pthread_attr_setstacksize to whatever you find appropriate.
>
> The thread library needs to know the stack size limit before creating
> the thread, that can't be changed dynamically.
>
> Jakub

Hi Jakub,
Thanks for your reply. I actually went ahead after getting your
mail and coded up a small program to check the stack limit
deliberately. The program is shown inline.

#include <stdio.h>

#define BUF_SIZE 1024000

void recurse(int n){
char ch[BUF_SIZE];
if(n<=0)
return;
else
recurse(n-1);
}

int main(argc, argv)
int argc;
char **argv;
{
if(argc!=2){
printf("Usage: %s <n (megabytes)>\n", argv[0]);
return 1;
}
printf("Checking for %dMB\n", atoi(argv[1]));
recurse(atoi(argv[1]));
}

Its a fairly crude way to find out the actual stack limit. Basically,
the resurse function recurses each time allocating ~1MB of space on
the stack. The program segfaults exactly at the ulimit -s value of
stack size on both linux and freebsd. So it does seem that the ulimit
-s is the value of stack limit used on FreeBSD.

Ritesh
--
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~ritesh/