Re: Y2K-like bug to hit Linux computers! - Info of the day

From: David Lang
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 18:20:06 EST

On Fri, 13 May 2005 Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 17:22:27 -0400
From: Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx
To: Chris Friesen <cfriesen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>, linux-os@xxxxxxxxxxxx,
Srinivas G. <srinivasg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Subject: Re: Y2K-like bug to hit Linux computers! - Info of the day

On Fri, 13 May 2005 15:07:04 MDT, Chris Friesen said:

Because that's what the maximum negative number gives?

Good, somebody's paying attention. :)

So what breaks if we change it to an 'unsigned int', and can we fix those
issues before 2038, and will any of us here now *care* when an unsigned 32-bit
overflows in 2106 or whenever it is? :)

all values that are currently prior to Jan 1 1970 would become post 2038 dates

Guys, this isn't a new problem, it was discussed quite a bit in 1999 as well, as were a lot of potential solutions.

David Lang
-- C.A.R. Hoare