Re: [ANNOUNCE] mini_fo-0.6.0 overlay file system

From: Jan Blunck
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 07:52:00 EST

On 5/13/05, Kyle Moffett <mrmacman_g4@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've been thinking about a "-o union" mount option for a while now, and
> I had a couple ideas on this topic.

So, I'm not the only one :) Actually, I'm working on a VFS based union
mounts implementation. There are still some major bugs which I want to
fix before posting the patches.

Some key features:
- VFS based approach, all file systems *should* work when mounted read-only
- unification of directory listings with readdir()
- copy-up with the help of Jörn's madcow patches to sendfile
- whiteout implementation for the VFS and ext2

The patches basically implement a union stack with/on dentries. That
is working quite well but I still have some issues with the dcache. At
the moment other stuff has higher priorities.

Jan