Re: [ANNOUNCE] mini_fo-0.6.0 overlay file system

From: Jörn Engel
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 07:26:52 EST

On Fri, 13 May 2005 07:26:14 -0400, Kyle Moffett wrote:

> >It solves the biggest concern I had left for union mount. Actually
> >implementing it, though, depends on quite a bit of infrastructure
> >that just
> >doesn't exist yet. Still, a very interesting idea.
>
> For ext2/ext3, the sparse-file-support _does_ exist, so the only
> major parts
> that need to be added are:
> o An extra ext2/ext3 flag that indicates nonresidence (For both
> sparse
> files, normal files, and directories).
> o VFS-level support for the union operation with hooks to let each
> filesystem do something special.

That and replacing the page cache by something different. Page cache
is referencing pages by inode,offset pairs. Having a potentially
infinite amount of inodes to look at, in order, may require a tiny bit
of patching. ;)

Jörn

--
Linux [...] existed just for discussion between people who wanted
to show off how geeky they were.