Re: Re[2]: ata over ethernet question

From: James Bottomley
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 14:18:22 EST

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 12:05 -0700, Dmitry Yusupov wrote:
> oh, please! don't compare nbd and iSCSI this way...
> iSCSI is an emerging SAN technology, and the only technology to compare
> is FC.

Well, the question was whether iSCSI could replace nbd; It's rather
difficult to answer that question by comparing iSCSI to FC ...

But even projecting to iSCSI being totally mature, the amount of code
required to conform to the iSCSI standard is easily going to put it 10x
over the amount of code we have in nbd, principally because they're
aimed at solving different problems and nbd achieves a lot of
streamlining by being tied to the linux block subsystem instead of
trying to be a generic transport.

James