Re: [RFC] (How to) Let idle CPUs sleep

From: Jesse Barnes
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 13:01:55 EST

Srivatsa Vaddagiri wrote:

Even if we were to go for this tickless design, the fundamental question
remains: who wakes up the (sleeping) idle CPU upon a imbalance? Does some other
(busy) CPU wake it up (which makes the implementation complex) or the idle CPU checks imbalance itself at periodic intervals (which restricts the amount of
time a idle CPU may sleep).

Waking it up at fork or exec time might be doable, and having a busy CPU wake up other CPUs wouldn't add too much complexity, would it?

I guess George's experience in implementing tickless systems is that
it is more of an overhead for a general purpose OS like Linux. George?

The latest patches seem to do tick skipping rather than wholesale ticklessness. Admittedly, the latter is a more invasive change, but one that may end up being simpler in the long run. But maybe George did a design like that in the past and rejected it?

Jesse