Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/5] add execute in place support

From: Carsten Otte
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 04:17:11 EST

Jörn Engel wrote:

> In principle, both the block device abstraction and the mtd
>
>abstraction fit your bill. But jffs2 doesn't, so no in-kernel fs
>could make use of a xip-aware mtd abstraction.

True. In fact I thought about an mtd device driver for our dcss
segments instead of a block device driver. A filesystem on top
of mtd that implements get_xip_page does the very same job.
But after I decided to build on the ext family, I discarded that
idea because ext does use the block device interface.