Re: [Fastboot] kexec+kdump testing with 2.6.12-rc3-mm3

From: Vivek Goyal
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 21:55:19 EST

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 04:59:18PM -0700, Badari Pulavarty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using kexec+kdump on 2.6.12-rc3-mm3 and it seems to be working
> fine on my 4-way P-III 8GB RAM machine. I did touch testing with
> kexec+kdump and it worked fine. Then ran heavy IO load and forced
> a panic and I was able to collect the dump. But I am not able to
> analyze the dump to find out if I really got a valid dump or not :(

Copying to LKML.

Gdb can not open a file larger than 2GB. You have got 8GB RAM hence
/proc/vmcore size must be similar. For testing purposes you can boot first
kernel with mem=2G and then take dump and analyze with gdb.

But we need to work on some crash analysis tools like "crash" to be able
to debug larger files.

> BTW, what architectures kexec+kdump supported ? Does it work on
> x86-64 ?

Kexec has been ported to x86-64 but not kdump.

Thanks
Vivek