Re: [ANNOUNCE] hotplug-ng 002 release

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 20:11:03 EST

On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 02:10 +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On May 11, Rusty Russell <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The other possible solution is for /etc/hotplug.d/blacklist to contain
> > "install xxx /bin/false // install yyy /bin/true //
> > include /etc/modprobe.d" and have hotplug invoke modprobe with
> > --config=/etc/hotplug.d/blacklist. Substitute names to fit.

> I understand that this modprobe would look for an alias or install
> directive for $MODALIAS, while it's the actual module name which users
> need to blacklist (but I know a few situations in which it would be
> useful to be able to match $MODALIAS on the blacklist too...).

Yes, I'm assuming that the config file/dir used by hotplug would simply
look like:

# Install commands so hotplug doesn't load some modules.
# Use /bin/true so modprobe doesn't complain.

# evbug is a debug tool and should be loaded explicitly
install evbug /bin/true

To blacklist by aliases, you could use install commands (which, again
undefined, are actually implemented to override alias commands):

# hotplug thinks that the XYZ driver is great for this card.
# But that modprobe causes uncomfortable nasal daemons.
install pci:v1d1dc0sd0bc10sc10i1 /bin/hotplug-warning

If that becomes important, I can document that behaviour and add a test
case for it.

Thanks!
Rusty.
--
A bad analogy is like a leaky screwdriver -- Richard Braakman