Re: [RFC/PATCH] unregister_node() for hotplug use

From: Matthew Dobson
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 14:00:13 EST

Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 11:15:29AM -0700, Matthew Dobson wrote:
>
>>So I think it's probably a good idea to stick the __devinit on
>>register_node() and unregister_node(), otherwise we have no marker to know
>>which functions to remove for CONFIG_TINY. Greg?
>

> Like _anyone_ would have CONFIG_NUMA and CONFIG_TINY enabled at the same
> time? I don't think so...
>
> I'll leave it as is for now.
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

No, it seems unlikely that anyone would build with CONFIG_NUMA and
CONFIG_TINY both enabled. But it is possible and reasonable to build with
CONFIG_NUMA=y and CONFIG_HOTPLUG=n, which is the case I was trying to speak
to. If NUMA is on and HOTPLUG is off, then we're wasting kernel text
(granted, it's a very small amount of space) for the register_node() &
unregister_node() functions that we *know* will never be called after
initial bootup. That's why I suggested marking both of those functions as
__devinit. But it doesn't make a huge difference either way.

-Matt