Re: Linux v2.6.12-rc4: IRQ14 nobody cared

From: Paulo Marques
Date: Mon May 09 2005 - 12:39:36 EST

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
On 5/9/05, Paulo Marques <pmarques@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]

2.6.12-rc4 halts during boot with a "IRQ 14: nobody cared" message.

2.6.12-rc3 boots (and works) fine with the same configuration.

[...]

Perhaps you can try first -rc3 git snapshot (still a lot of stuff):
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/snapshots/patch-2.6.12-rc3-git1.bz2

I tried this version with the same results.

It seems that I've got something weird in my compilation setup.

I set up a serial console to see the messages from boot and near the beggining I get:

"Unknown bustype PCI - ignoring"

The code that generates this is at arch/i386/mpparse.c:

} else if (strncmp(str, BUSTYPE_PCI, sizeof(BUSTYPE_PCI)-1) == 0) {
} else if (strncmp(str, BUSTYPE_MCA, sizeof(BUSTYPE_MCA)-1) == 0) {
} else {
printk(KERN_WARNING "Unknown bustype %s - ignoring\n", str);
}

BUSTYPE_PCI is defined at include/asm-i386/mpspec_def.h:

#define BUSTYPE_PCI "PCI"

so that first "if" statement translates to

> } else if (strncmp(str, "PCI", 3) == 0) {

which should be always valid for "PCI ", and that message should never appear :(

Well, sorry about the noise, I must dig deeper now...

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be
made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr (1885 - 1962)