[2.6.12-rc4] network wlan connection goes down

From: Colin Leroy
Date: Mon May 09 2005 - 09:32:03 EST

Hi,

I upgraded to 2.6.12-rc4, and noticed something strange after that.
After a few hours, the network connection goes down. The network
connectivity is done via a USB wifi stick driven by zd1201.

After that, nothing gets through, not even a ping. ifconfig wlan0 shows
the interface UP and configured; iwconfig shows the Wifi is correctly
associated with the access point (and the access point's client list
shows the zd1201's MAC as associated). The LED on the stick is lit as
usual (when associated). The kernel log doesn't show anything useful.

The connection comes back when running my network configuration script
again. The script issues four commands:
iwconfig wlan0 essid foo channel 11 key xx:xx...:xx
ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.11
route del default
route add default gw 192.168.0.100
(I have to find out which of the four commands reenables the
connection, didn't try yet)

Everything was fine using 2.6.12-rc3; the only zd1201 patch that went
in 2.6.12-rc4 is "USB: drivers/usb/net/zd1201.c: make some code static"
by Adrian Bunk, which I think can't be harmful at all.

Would anyone have any hint about what could have changed in the usb
subsystem (ohci driver) or in the network subsystem, that might cause
that?

Thanks,
--
Colin