Re: Suspend/Resume

From: James Bottomley
Date: Mon May 09 2005 - 09:12:26 EST

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 12:13 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> In IDE we do that to reliably flush drive caches... If write caching
> actually works on SCSI, we should not need that hacks.

Define "works". Actual write caching works fine with IDE (it doesn't
lose the data). On the other hand, turning the cache off or flushing it
can be problematic because not all IDE devices respond to these
commands.

So, what I think you're saying is that you don't want the internal
drives to spin down, but you do want to send a synchronize cache command
to those which have a writeback cache enabled?

James