Re: advices for a lcd driver design.

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Sun May 08 2005 - 06:24:19 EST

Hi Francis,

There already are several drivers for this display, why write another one ?
One I use and know (because I wrote it :-)) is available here :

http://linux.exosec.net/kernel/lcdpanel/

It works with any combination of data and control bits from a parallel port,
and can initialize early in the kernel to display a booting message. It also
supports a keypad. I know that several appliance makers who use it. It uses
/dev/lcd to send data and some ANSI codes to move the cursor, and to define
up to 8 graphics characters. It uses /dev/keypad for keypad input.

Another one exists, I don't remember its name but it used to be announced
on freshmeat. It emulates a vt52 terminal IIRC.

Hoping this helps,
Willy