Re: [discuss] [Patch] X86_64 TASK_SIZE cleanup - more comments

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Thu Apr 21 2005 - 06:55:41 EST

Another comment:

In general I am not too happy about the variable size TASK_SIZE.
There was a patch for this earlier, but it broke 32bit emulation
completely. And I think it needs auditing of all uses of TASK_SIZE,
because I suspect there are more bugs lurking in it.

The way hugetlb etc. mmap were supposed to be handled was to
let the mmap succeed and then check in the mmap wrapper
if any address is > 4GB and free it. Probably that code
has some problems or got broken (I think it worked at least
in 2.4, but there might have been regressions later)

-Andi