Re: VST and Sched Load Balance

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 09:08:48 EST

Srivatsa Vaddagiri wrote:

Hmm ..I guess we could restrict the max time a idle CPU will sleep taking
into account its balance interval. But whatever heuristics we follow to maximize balance_interval of about-to-sleep idle CPU, don't we still run the risk of idle cpu being woken up and going immediately back to sleep (because there was no imbalance)?

Yep.

Moreover we may be greatly reducing the amount of time a CPU is allowed to sleep this way ...

Yes. I was assuming you get some kind of fairly rapidly diminishing
efficiency return curve based on your maximum sleep time. If that is
not so, then I agree this wouldn't be the best method.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.