Re: non-free firmware in kernel modules, aggregation and unclearcopyright notice.

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 04:36:50 EST

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 11:11 +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 09:49:25AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:

I don't think you did get a rejection, a few people said that _they_
weren't going to do it, but if you want to then go ahead. I think people
are just fed up of people bringing up the issue and then failing to do
anything about it -- so prove them wrong ;-)

Actually patches to add firmware loader support to tg3 got rejected.

I think they will be accepted if they first introduce a transition
period where tg3 will do request_firmware() and only use the built-in
firmware if that fails. Second step is to make the built-in firmware a
config option and then later on when the infrastructure matures for
firmware loading/providing firmware it can be removed from the driver
entirely.

For tg3 a transition period shouldn't be needed as firmware loading
is only needed on old/buggy hardware which is not the common case.
Or to support advanced features which can be disabled.

TSO firmware is commonly used these days.

I am fairly certain in that case the firmware came from the bcm5701 broadcom driver for the tg3 which I think is gpl'd. So the firmware
may legitimately be under the GPL.

It is.

Jeff