Re: [patch 4/5] sched: RCU sched domains

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 03:00:16 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

At a minimum i think we need the fix+comment below.

Well if we say "this is actually RCU", then yes. And we should probably change the preempt_{dis|en}ables in other places to rcu_read_lock.

OTOH, if we say we just want all running threads to process through a preemption stage, then this would just be a preempt_disable/enable pair.

In practice that makes no difference yet, but it looks like you and Paul are working to distinguish these two cases in the RCU code, to accomodate your low latency RCU stuff?

it doesnt impact PREEMPT_RCU/PREEMPT_RT directly, because the scheduler itself always needs to be non-preemptible.

those few places where we currently do preempt_disable(), which should thus be rcu_read_lock(), are never in codepaths that can take alot of time.

but yes, in principle you are right, but in this particular (and special) case it's not a big issue. We should document the RCU read-lock dependencies cleanly and make all rcu-read-lock cases truly rcu_read_lock(), but it's not a pressing issue even considering possible future features like PREEMPT_RT.

the only danger in this area is to PREEMPT_RT: it is a bug on PREEMPT_RT if kernel code has an implicit 'spinlock means preempt-off and thus RCU-read-lock' assumption. Most of the time these get discovered via PREEMPT_DEBUG. (preempt_disable() disables preemption on PREEMPT_RT too, so that is not a problem either.)

OK thanks for the good explanation. So I'll keep it as is for now,
and whatever needs cleaning up later can be worked out as it comes
up.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.