Re: non-free firmware in kernel modules, aggregation and unclear copyright notice.

From: Jes Sorensen
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 02:20:15 EST

>>>>> "Sven" == Sven Luther <sven.luther@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Sven> On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 12:21:05PM +0200, Arjan van de Ven
Sven> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 12:09 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
>>
>> please take this discussion elsewhere. Also please never cc three
>> such

Sven> Ok, can you please point to me where is the place it should be
Sven> taken off ? I suppose you mean LKML ?

Yes please!

>> lists on the same posting, there is absolutely no point in doing
>> that.

Sven> We already had this discussion on debian-legal and
Sven> debian-kernel, so i included them for documentation purpose, so
Sven> people there can follow the discussion even if they don't follow
Sven> LKML which is rather high volume. As the discussion already was
Sven> hold there, i don't believe you will see many comments from
Sven> them.

Sven> So, i posted to LKML directly, as i believe that it is where
Sven> this needs to be solved, as only the copyright holders can fix
Sven> this licencing problem, and currently the kernels distributed
Sven> from ftp.kernel.org are not legally distributable.

Feel free to have your own legal oppinion about whether or not those
kernels can be distributed. However please keep that discussion
elsewhere.

If you want the firmware situation changed, I'd recommend spending
your time on improving the firmware loader interface instead.

Thanks,
Jes