Re: [RFC/Patch 2.6.11] Take control of PCI Master Abort Mode

From: Daniel Egger
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 15:46:58 EST

On 05.04.2005, at 21:33, Ross Biro wrote:

The problem with always setting the bit is that some PCI hardware, notably some Intel E-1000 chips (Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 1076) cannot properly handle the target abort bit. In the case of the E-1000 chip, the driver must reset the chip to recover. This usually leads to the machine being off the network for several seconds, or sometimes even minutes, which can be bad for servers.

This sounds *exactly* like my problem since I swapped
motherboards. I'll see whether there's some option in
the BIOS that fixes it and if not bite the bullet and
compile a generic kernel....

Thanks a lot for investigating this.

Servus,
Daniel