Re: Kernel SCM saga..

From: Jon Smirl
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 14:50:21 EST

On Apr 6, 2005 3:24 PM, Matan Peled <chaosite@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jon Smirl wrote:
> > ODSL could then GPL the code and quiet the
> > critics.
>
> And also cause aaid GPL'ed code to be immediatly ported over to Windows. I don't
> think BitMover could ever agree to that.

Windows Bitkeeper licenses are not that expensive, wouldn't you rather
keep your source in a licensed supported version? Who is going to do
this backport, then support it and track new releases? Why do people
pay for RHEL when they can get it for free? They want support and a
guarantee that their data won't be lost. Even with a GPL'd Linux
Bitkeeper I'll bet half of the existing Linux paying customers will
continue to use a paid version.

There is a large difference in the behavior of corporations with huge
source bases and college students with no money. The corporations will
pay to have someone responsible for ensuring that the product works.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx