Re: [stable] Re: [08/08] uml: va_copy fix

From: Jörn Engel
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 13:14:15 EST

On Wed, 6 April 2005 19:58:06 +0200, Renate Meijer wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2005, at 7:33 PM, Jörn Engel wrote:
> >On Wed, 6 April 2005 19:29:46 +0200, Renate Meijer wrote:
> >>
> >>I think its worth the time and trouble to take this up with the gcc
> >>crowd. So if you could provide a list of things 3.3 misses, i'm sure
> >>the gcc-crowd would like it.
> >
> >If you volunteer to do work with the gcc-crowd, I can dig up some old
> >stuff and send you testcases. Sure.
>
> I'll volunteer. [...]

Thanks!

> Problem is, i'll be spending 5 weeks prety much scattered around
> europe, [...]

Have fun!

Ok, here is the first testcase. It was a real bug, even though never
submitted to Linus:

#define ASM_MACRO \
op; \
#ifdef FOO \
op; \
#else \
op; \
#endif \
op; \
op;

The thing occurred in some entry.S or head.S, don't remember exactly
which one. Gcc people might tell you unfriendly things about using
the _C_ preprocessor for _ASM_ code, but that's just how the kernel
code is written.

With gcc 2.95, the old preprocessor errored out on the correct line
and we had a look at the code. With 3.x, preprocessor chewed things
and starting from "#ifdef", everything was interpreted as a comment
and ignored.

Code never worked and the real bug was papered over by more ugliness,
but stayed that way for a year until someone (me) tried to compile it
with 2.95.

Jörn

--
You cannot suppose that Moliere ever troubled himself to be original in the
matter of ideas. You cannot suppose that the stories he tells in his plays