Re: Linux 2.4.30-rc3 md/ext3 problems (ext3 gurus : please check)

From: Stephen C. Tweedie
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 09:21:46 EST

Hi,

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 11:01, Hifumi Hisashi wrote:

> >Certainly it's normal for a short read/write to imply either error or
> >EOF, without the error necessarily needing to be returned explicitly.
> >I'm not convinced that the Singleunix language actually requires that,
> >but it seems the most obvious and consistent behaviour.

> When an O_SYNC flag is set , if commit_write() succeed but
> generic_osync_inode() return
> error due to I/O failure, write() must fail .

Yes. But it is conventional to interpret a short write as being a
failure. Returning less bytes than were requested in the write
indicates that the rest failed. It just doesn't give the exact nature
of the failure (EIO vs ENOSPC etc.) For regular files, a short write is
never permitted unless there are errors of some description.

--Stephen