RE: [patch] sched: auto-tune migration costs [was: Re: Industry db benchmark result on recent 2.6 kernels]

From: Chen, Kenneth W
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 19:09:51 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote on Sunday, April 03, 2005 11:24 PM

> great! How long does the benchmark take (hours?), and is there any way
> to speed up the benchmarking (without hurting accuracy), so that
> multiple migration-cost settings could be tried? Would it be possible to
> try a few other values via the migration_factor boot option, in 0.5 msec
> steps or so, to find the current sweet spot? It used to be at 11 msec
> previously, correct?

It take days, each experiment is 5 hours. Previous experiments on 2.6.8
shows that the sweet spot was 12.5ms.

This time on 2.6.11, it got pushed into 16 ms. Results comparing to 10ms:

8 ms -0.3%
10 ms --
12 ms +0.11%
16 ms +0.14%
20 ms +0.06%

12ms and up all has about 1.5% idle time. We are not anywhere near the
limits on what the disk storage can deliver. So there is a potential to
to tune/optimize the scheduler and reap these extra idle time.

- Ken