Re: [07/08] [TCP] Fix BIC congestion avoidance algorithm error

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 13:37:15 EST

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 09:47:59AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:

> -stable review patch. If anyone has any objections, please let us know.
>
> While redoing BIC for the split up version, I discovered that the
> existing 2.6.11 code doesn't really do binary search. It ends up
> being just a slightly modified version of Reno. See attached graphs
> to see the effect over simulated 1mbit environment.

I hate to be a stickler for the rules, but does this really meet this
criteria?

- It must fix a real bug that bothers people (not a, "This could be a
problem..." type thing.)

If the congestion control alogirthm is "Reno-like", what is
user-visible impact to users? There are OS's out there with TCP/IP
stacks that are still using Reno, aren't there?

Knowing the answer to the question, "How does this bug `bother' either
users or network administrators?" would probably be really helpful.

- Ted