Re: /proc on 2.4.21 & 2.6 kernels....

From: Amanulla G
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 10:13:41 EST

Hi,
I would like to know the information on /proc under 2.4.21 based kernels.

On 2.4.21 based kernels, /proc has got two types of entries.
/proc/pid & /proc/.tid

The statistics under /proc/pid reflect just resource utilization of pid
alone. They are not summarization of resource utilization of process and the
threads it creates. I would like to know is there any way that we can make
sure that statistics under /proc/pid reflect the resource utilization of
threads it creates too?

Here are the additional details.

1) One line summary of the problem:
>> On 2.4.21 based kernels, /proc/pid doesn't include the consolidated
resource utilization of the threads it has created.

2) Full description of the problem/report:

>> Assume we have a process with pid = 1234
And this process creates two threads with thread IDs 1235 & 1236.
We have three entries
a) /proc/1234
b) /proc/.1235
c) /proc/.1236
The statistics under /proc/1234 doesn't reflect resource utilization
of threads.

3) Keywords (i.e., modules, networking, kernel):
>> /proc

4) Kernel version (from /proc/version):
>> 2.4.21

5) Output of Oops.. message (if applicable) with symbolic information
resolved (see Documentation/oops-tracing.txt)
>> N/A

6) A small shell script or example program which triggers the
problem (if possible)
>> Can be easily seen with multi-threaded processes

We would like to know
1) Is this a known problem?
2) Whether this problem has been fixed? If yes, in which version of the
kernel this issue has been fixed?
3) In 2.6 based kernels we have different way of getting thread data.
/proc/<pid>/tasks/tid
Does /proc/<pid>/stat has got the summarized statistics of resource
utilization of threads it has created ? or it just reflects the resource
utilization of <pid> only?

Thanks in advance!

With Best Regards,
Amanulla