Adding a field to ext2_dir_entry_2

From: Vineet Joglekar
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 18:00:43 EST

Hi All,

I working with linux kernel 2.4.28. I want to add 1 more field to ext2_dir_entry_2 - the new version of directory entry for ext2fs.

I did add the __u32 field to the struct ext2_dir_entry_2 defined in ext2_fs.h I also modified the EXT2_DIR_REC_LEN macro to:

(((name_len) + 12 + EXT2_DIR_ROUND) & ~EXT2_DIR_ROUND)

(+12 instead of +8) to incorporate newly added 4 bytes field.

I made the similar changes to the mke2fs utility also.

When I try to copy a file on that file system, I am getting the following error:

"ext2-fs error (device fd(2,0)): ext2_check_page: bad entry in directory #2: unaligned directory entry - offset=0, inode=2, rec_len=46, name_len=0"

Can someone please tell me where am I going wrong or what other changes do I need to do to add the field I want?

Thanks and regards,

Vineet Joglekar