Re: i8042 controller on Toshiba Satellite P10 notebook - patch

From: Jaco Kroon
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 17:04:09 EST

Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Apr 4, 2005 3:35 PM, Jaco Kroon <jaco@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>As for loading the modules i8042, atkbd and psmouse (in that order):
>>black void of death.
>>
> Hmm.. remind me, if you boot with usb-handoff does it switch the i8042
> into active multiplexing mode (you get 4 AUX serio ports)?

Checking my logs it actually looks like usb-handoff did get 4 ports.
With my patch, however, I only get:

serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1

>From the code I understand that this means that i8042_nomux != 0 or
i8042_check_mux() return != 0. So I assume that with the patch that
check_mux returns non-zero (and reversed logic means that 0 implies the
check succeeds, ie, it _fails_ with my patch installed). I don't know
which is the prefered mode of operation though (I guess MUX with 4 AUX
ports?).

With my patch I do get the ALPS support though - something which I
didn't get with usb-handoff, nor with acpi=off, nor with simply hacking
out the AUX_LOOP and AUX_TEST tests and just assuming the hardware is
there (I saw ALPS yesterday for the first time in my life for that matter).

OT: I think I prefer synaptics multi-finger tapping to the tapping in
specific locations to get right and middle clicking, but that is another
story that probably has nothing to do with the kernel, and quite likely
something that is configurable in the synaptics xorg driver.

Jaco
--
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world,
http://www.kroon.co.za/