Re: non-free firmware in kernel modules, aggregation and unclear copyright notice.

From: Sven Luther
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 16:30:27 EST

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 11:05:03PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:23:08PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:

> > > Does this imply your installer will use these non-free modules?
> >
> > The installer already has provision for loading additional .udebs from floppy
> > or net, not sure about other media, and we don't build yet non-free d-i images
> > with those non-free modules builtin, but it could be arranged. This is
> > post-sarge issues though, and we still have some time to solve them.
> >
> > > If the driver for the controller your harddisk is behind is not used by
> > > the installer you could simply remove these modules instead of moving
> > > them to non-free.
> >
> > yeah, the problem is a whole bunch of people have tg3 network cards it seem :)
>

> I was more thinking about SCSI controllers, but tg3 is also interesting.
>
> Additional non-free d-i images will for sure be required, or several
> hardware setups might make installation of Debian impossible without
> bootstrapping through a different OS or distribution.

Well, you only need one free way to get access to external media, non-free d-i
simply add a bunch of non-free .udebs to the initrd.

> > > If it was a GPL violation, it wasn't enough to contact only the small
> > > subset of copyright holders that worked on this specific file since
> > > this file might be compiled statically into the GPL'ed kernel.
> >
> > That is not a problem, since even if the firmware is built into the same
> > executable as the rest of the kernel code, it still constitutes only mere
> > agregation, where the kernel is the distribution media, in the GPL sense.
> > Please read the mail i linked too in the original mail for detailed
> > argumentation of this.
> >
> > The only problem to it constituting mere agregation is that the firmware blob
> > is not clearly identified as such in the tg3.c file (for example), and that
> > there is no licencing condition allowing their distribution apart the GPL,
> > which these firmware blobs where evidently not meant to be put under.
>

> This is one possible legal interpretation of "mere aggregation".
>
> Whether judges in all jurisdictions of the world follow this
> interpretation or an interpretation of the GPL in one direction or
> another is the more interesting question.

This is also hinted at by the FSF FAQ, and a verbatim interpretation of the
actual GPL text. And you can proof by asburd that it has to be so, or you
start facing no end of troubles :)

The thread i linked, which is rather short, has some more legalese
explanations (not by me :), if you are interested.

Friendly,

Sven Luther