Re: UPDATE: out of vmalloc space - but vmalloc parameter does not allow boot

From: Roland Kuhn
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 10:15:22 EST

Hi Ranko!

On Apr 4, 2005, at 4:36 PM, Ranko Zivojnovic wrote:

(please do CC replies as I am still not on the list)

As I am kind of pressured to resolve this issue, I've set up a test
environment using VMWare in order to reproduce the problem and
(un)fortunately the attempt was successful.

I have noticed a few points that relate to the size of the physical RAM
and the behavior vmalloc. As I am not sure if this is by design or a
bug, so please someone enlighten me:

The strange thing I have seen is that with the increase of the physical
RAM, the VmallocTotal in the /proc/meminfo gets smaller! Is this how it
is supposed to be?

Well, I'm by no means a VM expert (not even a regular kernel hacker), but it seems to me that the sum of LowTotal and VmallocTotal is rather constant for the different settings. Alas, I cannot offer an explanation why this should be, so hopefully a knowledgeable person will shed some light on this issue.

Ciao,
Roland

--
TU Muenchen, Physik-Department E18, James-Franck-Str. 85747 Garching
Telefon 089/289-12592; Telefax 089/289-12570