Re: sata_sil Mod15Write quirk workaround patch for vanilla kernelavaialble.

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 02:59:03 EST

Alexander Trotsai wrote:
On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 07:51:28AM +0900, Tejun Heo wrote:
TH> Hello, John.
TH> TH> John Lash wrote:
TH> >On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:01:23 +0900
TH> >Tejun Heo <htejun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
TH> >
TH> >
TH> >>Hello, guys.
TH> >>
TH> >>I generated m16w workaround patch for 2.6.11.6 (by just removing two
TH> >>lines :-) and set up a page regarding m15w quirk and the workaournd.
TH> >>I'm planning on updating m15w patch against the vanilla tree until it
TH> >>gets into the mainline so that impatient users can try out and it gets
TH> >>more testing.
TH> >>
TH> >>http://home-tj.org/m15w
TH> >>
TH> >>Thanks.
TH> >>
TH> >>-- TH> >>tejun
TH> >>
TH> >
TH> >
TH> >Tejun,
TH> >
TH> >I applied the patch to a clean 2.6.11.6 kernel and got an unresolved
TH> >symbol error for "ATA_TFLAG_LBA". I tried changing that to TH> >"ATA_TFLAG_LBA48" and
TH> >it compiles and runs.
TH> >
TH> >So far, no problems. Thanks a lot for the patch.
TH> TH> I'm sorry. I uploaded the original patch against libata-dev-2.6 tree. TH> The two BUG_ON() lines should just be removed. I've uploaded fixed TH> patch. Thanks for pointing out.

Thanks
Seems to be worked (I'm install with ide-ata-2.6 patch)
But with heavy read load write performance is very very bad
(near 50-100 KBps)
But I think that is not problem of Silicon card (I have also
to SATA hard drives on Intel onboard SATA controller with
same performance troubles)

It has been quite a while since I looked at the elevator code but, IIRC, anticipatory elevator (rightfully) favors read requests over writes and doesn't care much about fairness between processes (IOW, request streams). It depends on your workload but try using cfq. For many puposes including common desktop usage, I find cfq to be better suited.

Thanks.

--
tejun