Re: [RFC,PATCH 2/4] Deprecate synchronize_kernel, GPL replacement

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Sun Apr 03 2005 - 17:33:11 EST

On Sünndag 03 April 2005 20:50, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> I couldn't find any way to suppress the "deprecated" warning that is
> generated by the "&sym" in the last line of the __EXPORT_SYMBOL()
> macro.  Anyone know a way of doing this?  There doesn't seem to me
> to be any point to giving the warning on the EXPORT_SYMBOL() -- and
> it does clutter up compiler output with useless "deprecated" warnings.

You can define an inline function that is marked __deprecated and calls
the exported function:

extern void __synchronize_kernel(void);
static inline __deprecated synchronize_kernel(void)
{
__synchronize_kernel();
}
===
void __synchronize_kernel(void)
{
synchronize_rcu();
}
EXPORT_SYMBOL(__synchronize_kernel);

You could even make __synchronize_kernel() static to let it only be used
by modules, but that might create some confusion about the interface.

Arnd <><