Re: Industry db benchmark result on recent 2.6 kernels

From: David Lang
Date: Sun Apr 03 2005 - 02:27:39 EST

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Andreas Dilger wrote:

given that this would let you get the same storage with about 1200 fewer
drives (with corresponding savings in raid controllers, fiberchannel
controllers and rack frames) it would be interesting to know how close it
would be (for a lot of people the savings, which probably are within
spitting distance of $1M could be work the decrease in performance)

For benchmarks like these, the issue isn't the storage capacity, but
rather the ability to have lots of heads seeking concurrently to
access the many database tables. At one large site I used to work at,
the database ran on hundreds of 1, 2, and 4GB disks long after they
could be replaced by many fewer, larger disks...

I can understand this to a point, but it seems to me that after you get beyond some point you stop gaining from this (simply becouse you run out of bandwidth to keep all the heads busy). I would have guessed that this happened somewhere in the hundreds of drives rather then the thousands, so going from 1500x73G to 400x300G (even if this drops you from 15Krpm to 10Krpm) would still saturate the interface bandwidth before the drives

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare