RE: x86 TSC time warp puzzle

From: Jonathan Lundell
Date: Sat Apr 02 2005 - 23:07:04 EST

At 3:13 AM -0500 4/2/05, Lee Revell wrote:
On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 23:05 -0800, Pallipadi, Venkatesh wrote:
It can be SMI happening in the platform. Typically BIOS uses some SMI
> polling to handle some devices during early boot. Though 500 microseconds > sounds a bit too high.

Nope, that sounds just about right. Buggy BIOSes that implement ACPI
via SMM (or so I have been told) can stall the machine for over a
millisecond, this is why some laptops lose timer ticks at HZ=1000. The
issue is well known by Linux audio users, as it causes big problems for
people who buy laptops for live audio use.

This is a desktop board, and this is well after boot (hours). Also, ACPI is disabled in the BIOS.

I suppose I can try to disable SMI via the APIC?
--
/Jonathan Lundell.