Re: [patch] sched: improve pinned task handling again!

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 23:17:02 EST

Siddha, Suresh B wrote:
On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 01:11:20PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:

How important is this? Any application to real workloads? Even if
not, I agree it would be nice to improve this more. I don't know
if I really like this approach - I guess due to what it adds to
fastpaths.

Ken initially observed with older kernels(2.4 kernel with Ingo's sched), it was happening with few hundred processes. 2.6 is not that bad and it improved
with recent fixes. It is not very important. We want to raise the flag
and see if we can comeup with a decent solution.

OK.

We changed nr_running from "unsigned long" to "unsigned int". So on 64-bit
architectures, our change to fastpath is not a big deal.

Yeah I see. You are looking at data from remote runqueues a bit
more often too, although I think they're all places where the
remote cacheline would have already been touched recently.

Now presumably if the all_pinned logic is working properly in the
first place, and it is correctly causing balancing to back-off, you
could tweak that a bit to avoid livelocks? Perhaps the all_pinned
case should back off faster than the usual doubling of the interval,
and be allowed to exceed max_interval?

Coming up with that number(how much to exceed) will be a big task. It depends
on number of cpus and how fast they traverse the runqueue,...

Well we probably don't need to really fine tune it a great deal.
Just pick a lage number that should work OK on most CPU speeds
and CPU counts.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.