Re: AMD64 Machine hardlocks when using memset

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 21:35:46 EST

Ray Lee wrote:
On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 22:37 -0600, Robert Hancock wrote:

This is getting pretty ridiculous.. I've tried memory timings down to the slowest possible, ran Memtest86 for 4 passes with no errors, and it's been stable in Windows for a few months now. Still something is blowing up in Linux with this test though..

Have you run the same memset test under windows?

I've traced a lot of oddball problems down to bad or marginal power
supplies.

I've now built a similar test program for Windows. I've let it run over 2000 iterations of 512MB memsets with no problems. On Linux it usually blew up with under 200 iterations. It does run visibly slower than the Linux version though - this is after all 32 bit Windows and it was compiled with crufty old Visual C++ 6.0 so it is probably not that optimized for this CPU. I will see if I can get a more optimized build of this to try in Mingw32 or something.. after all if it's related to some instruction combination or something it may not show up in the build I have.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx