Re: Industry db benchmark result on recent 2.6 kernels

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 21:14:49 EST

Chen, Kenneth W wrote:
Ingo Molnar wrote on Thursday, March 31, 2005 8:52 PM

the current defaults for cache_hot_time are 10 msec for NUMA domains,
and 2.5 msec for SMP domains. Clearly too low for CPUs with 9MB cache.
Are you increasing cache_hot_time in your experiment? If that solves
most of the problem that would be an easy thing to fix for 2.6.12.

Chen, Kenneth W wrote on Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:15 PM

Yes, we are increasing the number in our experiments. It's in the queue
and I should have a result soon.

Hot of the press: bumping up cache_hot_time to 10ms on our db setup brings
2.6.11 performance on par with 2.6.9. Theory confirmed.

OK, that's good. I'll look at whether we can easily use Ingo's
tool on the SMP domain only, to avoid the large O(n^2). That might
be an acceptable short term solution for 2.6.12.

If you get a chance to also look at those block layer patches that
would be good - if they give you a nice improvement, that would
justify getting them into -mm.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.