RE: Industry db benchmark result on recent 2.6 kernels

From: Chen, Kenneth W
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 17:54:19 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 4:00 PM
> Also, it would be absolutely wonderful to see a finer granularity (which
> would likely also answer the stability question of the numbers). If you
> can do this with the daily snapshots, that would be great. If it's not
> easily automatable, or if a run takes a long time, maybe every other or
> every third day would be possible?
>
> Doing just release kernels means that there will be a two-month lag
> between telling developers that something pissed up performance. Doing it
> every day (or at least a couple of times a week) will be much more
> interesting.

Indeed, we agree that regular disciplined performance testing is important
and we (as Intel) will take on the challenge to support the Linux community.
I just got an approval to start this project. We will report more detail
on how/where to publish the performance number, etc.

- Ken