Re: rootdelay

From: Daniel Drake
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 13:36:38 EST

Hi David,

David N. Welton wrote:
[ Please CC replies to me, thanks! ]

Hi, I was looking at your patch:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/1/21/132

Very small, which is nice.

I was wondering if there were any interest in my own efforts in that
direction:

http://dedasys.com/freesoftware/patches/blkdev_wakeup.patch

which is far more intrusive, and perhaps isn't good kernel programming
style, but, on the other hand, is the optimal solution in terms of
boot time because it wakes up the boot process right when the device
comes on line.

Since I saw your patch included, it looks like there is interest in
this, and I'd toot my own horn once more before just leaving my patch
to the bit rot of the ages...

Thanks!

As simple as it may be, it's a bit of a shame that we actually need rootdelay as its something that the kernel should do automatically. At the time when we last discussed it, we didn't come up with a better (and safe) way to handle it, but I don't think we considered anything like your implementation.

I've CC'd a few people who were involved the last time around to see if they have any input for you.

Daniel