Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.12-rc1-V0.7.43-00

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 12:41:22 EST

On Friday 01 April 2005 05:47, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>i have released the -V0.7.43-00 Real-Time Preemption patch, which
> can be downloaded from the usual place:
>
> http://redhat.com/~mingo/realtime-preempt/
>
>this release too is a step towards more robustness. I found a bug
> that caused an infinite recursion and subsequent spontaneous
> reboot. The bug was once again related to lock->debug locks, so i
> decided to get rid of them altogether: from now on every lock in
> the -RT domain is debugged.
>
>To be able to use code that relies on incompatible properties of
> stock Linux semaphores (and rwsems), i've added a new compile-time
> semaphore-type mechanism that enables the easy switching from RT
> semaphores to stock semaphores. I've done this conversion for all
> subsystems that needed it - e.g. XFS, firewire, USB and SCSI. XFS
> seems to be working much better with this approach - BYMMV.
>
>but an unavoidable side-effect is that the whole codebase got turned
>upside down once again, so be careful and expect a few rough edges.
> In particular keep an eye on new compile-time warnings related to
> semaphores - code that gives a warning might build but it will
> almost certainly not work.
>
>to create a -V0.7.43-00 tree from scratch, the patching order is:
>
> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.11.tar.bz2

I use the .gz, more reliable unpacks

> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/testing/patch-2.6.12-rc1.bz
>2

Again I use the .gz

> http://redhat.com/~mingo/realtime-preempt/realtime-preempt-2.6.12-r
>c1-V0.7.43-00
>
> Ingo

It was up to 43-04 by the time I got there.

This one didn't go in cleanly Ingo. From my build-src scripts output:
-------------------
Applying patch realtime-preempt-2.6.12-rc1-V0.7.43-04
[...]
patching file lib/rwsem-spinlock.c
Hunk #5 FAILED at 133.
Hunk #6 FAILED at 160.
Hunk #7 FAILED at 179.
Hunk #8 FAILED at 194.
Hunk #9 FAILED at 204.
Hunk #10 FAILED at 231.
Hunk #11 FAILED at 250.
Hunk #12 FAILED at 265.
Hunk #13 FAILED at 274.
Hunk #14 FAILED at 293.
Hunk #15 FAILED at 314.
lib/rwsem-spinlock.c.rej
I doubt it would run, so I haven't built it. Should I?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)