Re: [RFC] CryptoAPI & Compression

From: Artem B. Bityuckiy
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 09:58:51 EST

David Woodhouse wrote:
Hm. Could we avoid using Z_SYNC_FLUSH and stick with a larger amount?
That would give us better compression.

Yes, the compression will be better. But the implementation will be more complicated.
We can try to use the "bound" functions to predict how many bytes to pass to the deflate's input, but there is no guarantee they'll fit into the output buffer. In this case we'll need to try again.

Possibly, we may do something like this:

Try good compression using the prediction technique.
If we didn't fit the output buffer, use the old but determined algorithm.

--
Best Regards,
Artem B. Bityuckiy,